Washington transitions continue, with more departures, appointments and leadership positions announced recently. Here’s a roundup:
Incoming Senators Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.) and Joe Donnelly (D-Ind.) will take seats on the Senate Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry Committee. They are replacing Sen. Kent Conrad (D-N.D.) and Sen. Dick Lugar (R-Ind.), both of whom are leaving the chamber.
Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.) was tapped to head the Senate Appropriations Committee this week following the death of longtime chairman Sen. Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii).
Rep. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) was recently named as the replacement for Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.), who is retiring to take the helm at the Heritage Foundation.
On Thursday, House Agriculture Committee Chairman Frank Lucas (R-Okla.) announced his panel’s subcommittee chairmen for the coming session. They include:
- Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa), chairman of the Subcommittee on Department Operations, Oversight and Nutrition
- Rep. Mike Conaway (R-Texas), chairman of the Subcommittee on General Farm Commodities and Risk Management
- Rep. Glenn Thompson (R-Penn.), chairman of the Subcommittee on Conservation, Energy and Forestry
- Rep. Austin Scott (R-Ga.), chairman of the Subcommittee on Horticulture, Research, Biotechnology and Foreign Agriculture
- Rep. Rick Crawford (R-Ark.), chairman of the Subcommittee on Livestock, Rural Development and Credit
Conaway was also recently selected to be the new chairman of the House Ethics Committee.
House Agriculture Committee Ranking Member Collin Peterson (D-Minn.) also announced Thursday the Committee’s new Democrats in the 113th Congress. They will include Representatives-Elect Michelle Lujan Grisham (D-N.M); Ann Kuster (D-N.H); Gloria McLeod (D-Calif.); and Filemon Vela (D-Texas).
An earlier story about agriculture policymaker moves is at http://www.wheatworld.org/news-events/2012/12/coming-and-going-rma-head-emerson-house-ag-gop/.